Saturday, June 11, 2016

Book Review: Harlem Nights & Footstep Blues by Julius Jamaal McLean


Harlem Nights & Footstep Blues by Julius Jamaal McLean

This is such a tender collection of poetry. McLean’s writing style is very clear and while many of the poems caused me to stop and reflect, I did not have to figure out what he was saying, which I thoroughly appreciated. I love the transparency of his heart on the issues of love and loss, even as he shared the part he played in the downfall of certain relationships. With intensity and great poignancy, he penned his frustration of being a black man, a black person in America, yet managed to do so without spewing hatred. With gentleness, yet also with a straightforward approach, he fused consciousness and a desire for people to ‘wake up’ and realize what is going on all around them with grace and no judgment. He allows his well-crafted poetry to reveal his heart, his mind, his passion, his pain. And my response is I hear you….loud and clear!

Poetry lovers are sure to enjoy this collection and I urge you to give it a try.

5 stars

_____

Reviewed by Tumika Patrice Cain

No comments:

Post a Comment